Whether you’re wanting to start your Australian road trip or looking to explore the city and it’s surroundings, the best way is to hire a motorhome or campervan in Brisbane. As Brisbane city stretches over several kilometres, having a vehicle is probably necessary if you really want to get to know the area and venture off the beaten track. We’ll share the rental agencies available and give you a few itinerary suggestions for the Brisbane region.
Table of Contents
Why hire a van from Brisbane?
Brisbane is the capital of Queensland. It brings together a population of 2,472,000 people from everywhere. It is easy to land there, thanks to the international airport, close to the city. But above all, be aware that van and motorhome rental rates can be cheaper than from cities like Sydney or Melbourne. Finally, Brisbane is an excellent starting point for a road trip in Queensland. Whether you decide to go north or south, you will have plenty to explore.
Motorhomes and Campervans Comparison
If you plan on renting a motorhome or camper, the easiest way is to use a price comparison website with a specific search option for rental vehicles. This will save you the effort and time of researching several rental agency websites. Instead, you will receive the best price for campervans (available within your desired dates) in only a few seconds! We recommend the website MotorhomeRepublic, as it has the most comprehensive packages at the best prices. Not to mention, the site regularly offers discounted deals which is great news for backpackers.
Motorhome rental companies in Brisbane
There are several rental companies located in Brisbane, including some of the biggest names in the industry. The advantage of these well-known agencies is that they offer a very broad range of vehicles, excellent service and good value for money.
Main rental companies
- Apollo Motorhome Holidays
- Jucy Rentals (get 5% off with promo code ABG5)
- Travellers Autobarn (use our promo code to get 5% off: GUIDEEN)
- Britz Campervan Hire
- Lets go Motorhome & Campervans Hire
- Travel Wheels
- Wicked Campers
- Cheapa Campa
Where about in Brisbane are the campervan companies located?
As in most major Australian cities, motorhome rental companies are not located directly in the city centre, but in the periphery near the airport. This means you have to use public transport or an airport shuttle to get there. The agencies easiest to reach from the city centre are Wicked Campers in Woolloongabba and Comet Campervans in Herston.
These are the locations of the major camper and motorhome rentals in Brisbane:
Rental prices depend on the following criteria:
- Vehicle type: Age of the model, the number available and added extras
- Available vehicles: Prices are higher during the peak season as demand is higher
- Rental Period: The price per day may be between $80 and $200 depending on the vehicle type, time of year and rental duration
- Location of return: If you stay in the area around Brisbane and return the camper or motorhome at the same place, it will be cheaper. The bigger rental companies also offer the option for you to return the vehicle at another branch, elsewhere in Australia.
Other factors can also affect costs such as how far in advance you book or which deals and discounts are available.
Here are two examples of pricing to compare the difference in cost between hiring in the main season and low season in Brisbane:
1. Hire a 2-seater motorhome in Brisbane (low season):
- Rental for 2 weeks
- in June (low season)
- booked 6 months in advance
- Entry-level vehicle (3 to 5 years)
Price: From 55 AUD / day (total about 770 AUD, without insurance or extras)
2. Hire a 2-seater motorhome in Brisbane (main season):
- Rental for 2 weeks
- in February (high season)
- booked 1 month in advance
- Entry-level vehicle (3 to 5 years)
Price: Starting at 140 AUD / day (total about 1,960 AUD, without insurance or extras)
As you can see, the price can double even for the same vehicle due to the time of year. It can also depend on how far in advance you book your rental.
Good to know
- Low season: March, April, May and June
- High season: July, September, October, November, February
- Peak main season: August, mid-December to mid-January
Also remember to check the dates of school holidays. Rates will be higher during these times.
How to find a cheap motorhome in Brisbane?
- Use a price comparison website and book as soon as possible! This will give you a good chance to hire a motorhome in Brisbane cheaper.
- Hire your motorhome in Brisbane for more than 14 days. Daily rates vary depending on the length of rental. It costs less to keep the same vehicle for a longer period instead of renting a vehicle for several shorter periods.
- Be cautious when choosing the extras and insurance offered – always shop around.
- Or, check with your bank or travel insurance company first, as some might include vehicle rental insurance cover in their insurance policy.
Requirements to rent a vehicle
To be able to rent and drive a van or any other vehicle in Australia, you must:
- Hold a valid driver’s license, accompanied by an international license.
- Be at least 19 years old (some companies only rent from 21 years old).
- Have a credit card to pay the rental and the bond.
Visiting the Brisbane region in a Motorhome
The city centre of Brisbane is very easy to explore on foot and by public transport. It consists of several districts to suit all styles of traveller:
- The Central Business District (or “CBD”), is ideal for shopping.
- South Bank, across the Victoria Bridge, is a cultural district known for its artificial lagoon.
- Fortitude Valley. Great place to go out, as it’s home to there are the best bars and clubs.
- New Farm. A neighborhood for families with small modern restaurants and art galleries
- Kangaroo Point is the highest lookout in the in Brisbane, with views of the entire city.
Further information: Brisbane in 2 days
What to see around Brisbane?
In less than 30 Minutes from Brisbane you can:
- Feed kangaroos and hold a koala at the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary (30 – 45 min from the city centre by bus)
- Walk up Mount Coot-Tha (6 km from the city centre) and enjoy the beautiful scenery. At the foot of the mountain, you can visit the botanical garden.
1 to 2 hours from Brisbane
- Water sports enthusiasts should visit Moreton Bay (1h30 from the city centre).
- The coastal town of Manly is the perfect place to enjoy a seafood dish after a stroll on the Esplanade.
- From June to October, Redcliffe is one of the best places to watch the whale migration.
- The Sunshine Coast, located about 1h – 1h30 north of Brisbane is a magnificent region to enjoy the beautiful beaches.
More than 2 hours from Brisbane
- Plan a trip to the popular surfer town Byron Bay. The drive takes around 2.5 hours.
- Less than 50 km from Brisbane are the white beaches of North Stradbroke Island
- Enjoy a wine tasting in the Stanthorpe wine region
- Explore the forest at Girraween National Park
- Fraser Island is about 8 hours driving distance from Brisbane, but it’s worth the journey! It is the largest sand island in the world and stretches over 120 km.
The best road trips from Brisbane
Brisbane – Cairns
The drive from Brisbane to Cairns is one of the most popular road trips for backpackers and there are so many reasons why! Along the coast, you will find beautiful landscapes and beaches as well as the obligatory stop at the Great Barrier Reef.
Here are the stops you cannot miss along the way and an approximate itinerary:
- Depart from Brisbane
- Noosa via the Sunshine Coast. (137km, 2 hours)
- Hervey Bay and Fraser Island (190 km, 2.5 hours)
- Bundaberg (120km, 1.5 hours)
- Yeppoon (330km, 4 hours)
- Airlie Beach (500 km, 5.5 hours)
- Mission Beach (510km, 6 hours)
- Arrival in Cairns (140km, 2 hours)
Time: 15 days
More Information: The Perfect 15 Day Itinerary: Brisbane to Cairns drive
Brisbane – Sydney
By driving from Brisbane to Sydney you will get to explore the popular Gold Coast and several surf spots. Here are the stops you cannot miss along the way and an approximate itinerary:
- Departure from Brisbane
- Gold Coast (78 km, 1 hour)
- Byron Bay (93 km, 1 hour 15 minutes)
- Coffs Harbour (152 km, 1.5 hours)
- Port Macquarie (245km, 3 hours)
- Port Stephens (137km, 2 hours)
- Newcastle (245km, 3hrs)
- Central Coast (98 km, 1 hour 15 minutes)
- Arrival in Sydney (76km, 1hr 40min)
Time: 10 days
More Information: Sydney to Brisbane Drive: Best Road Trip Itinerary
Download the complete Guide for a Road Trip on the East Coast
Our FREE 52-page guide brings together all the info you need for your East Coast Road Trip in Australia:
- Preparations (seasons, budget)
- All the best spots to visit on the coast
- The best tours & activities
- Spots to park and sleep in a campervan