Home Working Holiday Visa Australia (WHV)

Working Holiday Visa Australia (WHV)

Australia’s Working Holiday Visa (WHV) program is an incredible opportunity for young adults who want to explore the vast and diverse landscape of Australia while having the legal right to work and travel for up to a year or more. This guide offers an overview of the WHV, including how to apply, eligibility criteria, and what to expect once you’re down under.

What is the Australian Working Holiday Visa (WHV)?

The Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417) and Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) is a temporary visa for travellers who wish to travel, work and/or study in Australia. It is available to young people between 18 and 30 years old (35 for French, Irish, Canadian, Italian, Danish and British applicants).

It is limited to one year and renewable for two further years under certain conditions. Once your visa is granted, you have one year to enter Australia.

The visa available to applicants (417 or 462) depends on their country of citizenship. The program is usually reciprocal, allowing young Australians to travel and work under similar arrangements in partner countries.

The cost of the visa is currently $650 (July 2024).

Travellers on a Working Holiday Visa are taxed on the wages they receive if they work in Australia. They are taxed at a rate of 15% if their income does not exceed $45,000 a year. Superannuation (retirement contribution) is paid on top of their salary and is 11% of what they earn. They can access their superannuation when they leave Australia, but it is taxed at a rate of 65%.

Warning: Be careful not to confuse the Working Holiday Visa and the Work and Holiday Visa!

Working Holiday Visa for UK passport holders

Following the FTA , the age limit is now 35 years old for UK passport holders since July 2023.

From 1 July 2024​​ UK passport holders can be granted up to three separate Working Holiday visas without having to meet any specified work requirements. These arrangements apply to all Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa applications lodged by UK passport holders on or after 1 July 2024.

UK passport holders, even those who have previously entered Australia on a Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa using another eligible passport (such as one from the Republic of Ireland), are exempt from meeting the specified work requirement for the subclass 417 visa when applying for a second or third Working Holiday visa on or after 1 July 2024. Check news here.

Eligibility criteria for a WHV

Conditions to meet

  1. Be under 30 (or 35 depending on your nationality)
  2. Have a valid passport
  3. Be outside Australia when you apply for your 1st visa and when it is issued
  4. Not be accompanied by dependent child(ren)
  5. Be insured for your stay
  6. Have enough money to support yourself
  7. Not having previously had a WHV (except for renewal)

Age requirement

Be aged 18 to 30 years (inclusive) at the time of applying; for some countries, the age limit is 35. The age limit for UK citizens has been increased to 35 since July 2023, following the Australia UK Free Trade Agreement.

If the age limit for your nationality is 30, you can apply for the visa right up until the day before your 31st birthday. You can then travel to Australia on your WHV after you turn 31. For French, Canadian, Irish, Italian, Danish and British nationals, you can apply up until the day before your 36th birthday, and travel to Australia on your WHV after you turn 36.

Eligible countries

Depending on your nationality you might be eligible for a 417 (Working Holiday Visa) or 462 (Work and Holiday Visa).

Eligible countries for 417
Republic of Cyprus
Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
Republic of Ireland
Republic of Korea
United Kingdom
Eligible countries for 462
China, People’s Republic of
Czech Republic
San Marino
Slovak Republic

Your passport must be valid. You will need to enter your passport number when applying for a visa. This step will register your visa, linked to your passport.

To make your first WHV application you must be outside Australian territory.

Sufficient funds

You must also prove that you have sufficient funds to support themselves on a working holiday (about AUD 5,000) and a return ticket or additional funds to purchase one.

The sum required is $5,000. When applying for a visa online, you will need to prove that you have this amount in your account with a bank statement or a screenshot of your online account. You can also obtain a statement from your bank but usually a screenshot will be enough.

Be insured

In theory, it is mandatory to take out travel insurance for a Working Holiday Visa in Australia. The government strongly recommends taking out insurance during your WHV, and more generally for all long-term trips.

The pandemic showed us that you never know what’s around the corner and it’s better to be safe than sorry!

Previous visas

You must not have previously travelled to Australia on the following visas:

  • Working Holiday visa (subclass 417)
  • Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462)

Health conditions

Australia has fairly strict health standards. Questions about your health will be asked when you apply for a visa. Depending on your answers and your country of origin, medical examinations may be required.

Conditions to respect

To be eligible you must:

  • Not have and not have had tuberculosis
  • Not having been in contact with a person with tuberculosis
  • Not have taken an X-ray indicating an abnormality in the lungs

To be eligible, you must not plan treatment during your trip for:

  • A blood disease
  • Cancer
  • Heart disease
  • Hepatitis B, C or other disease of the faith
  • HIV / AIDS
  • Kidney disease
  • Pregnancy
  • Mental illness
  • Respiratory disease

How do I know if I need to have a medical exam?

To find out if the validation of your visa is subject to obtaining a medical examination, you must:

  1. Log into your account ImmiAccount
  2. Go on your request
  3. Click on the “View health assessment” link in the “Applications Status” section
  4. If you need to take a medical examination you will find a link “Organize health examinations”
  5. Click on the link and complete your medical history

To be eligible for the WHV, you must meet legal and personality criteria. Thus, in certain very specific cases, your request could be considered as non-eligible. You could, therefore, be ineligible if:


  • You have a criminal record
  • You have been found guilty of ‘escape from an immigrant detention centre , or sentenced for an offence you have committed:
    • While in immigration detention
    • While escaping from immigration detention
    • After an escape, but before being returned to immigration detention
  • You are or have been a member of a group or organization, or were or have an association with a person, group or organization suspected of being involved in criminal conduct
  • You have been involved in trafficking of persons, genocide, a war crime, a crime against humanity, a crime involving torture or slavery , or a crime considered to be of grave international concern, whether you have been convicted of such an offense
  • Your past and present criminal or general conduct shows that you are not of good character, there is a risk that while you are in Australia:
    • You are engaging in criminal conduct
    • You harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person
    • You vilify a segment of the Australian community
    • You incite discord in the Australian community or any part of it
    • You represent a danger to the community Australian or any part of it
    • You have been convicted, convicted or a charge has been proven for one or more child sexual offences
  • You have been subjected to an adverse security assessment by the Australian Security Intelligence Organization
  • You are subject to an interpol search which proves that you represent a direct or indirect risk to the Australian community or a segment of the Australian community

Documents to provide (optional)

These elements can be verified by questions at the time of your visa application. Depending on your answers you may be asked to:

  • Provide a police certificate
  • Fill out the personal data form 80 for the assessment of your personality
  • Complete a statutory declaration of character
  • Provide a military certificate (if you have served more than one year)
  • Provide a letter of good conduct from an employer.

Commitment to respect Australian values and laws

At the end of your visa application, you must certify that you have learned about Australian values and that you agree to respect them. These are the principles and values of Australian society.

Working Holiday Visa – Your rights

Upon arrival, apply for a TFN to work legally in Australia. You’re also required to file an Australian tax return if you work during your stay. If you work in Australia, you are entitled to superannuation (pension contributions), which can be claimed back when you leave Australia.

Work rights

The WHV allows you to work in Australia freely, whether full-time, part-time, casual or even as a freelancer.

Since 1 January 2024, until further government decisions, you can work for the same employer in Australia for more than 6 months without asking permission if your work is:

  • in different locations and work in any one location does not exceed 6 months
  • in plant and animal cultivation anywhere in Australia
  • in certain industries, including aged care and disability services, fishing and pearling, tree farming and felling, construction and mining, in northern Australia only (see Northern Australia)
  • natural disaster recovery work
  • in critical sectors, including agriculture, food processing, health, aged and disability care and childcare, anywhere in Australia
  • in the critical sector of tourism and hospitality anywhere in Australia.

 For any other situations not covered above, you must ask for our permission to work longer than 6 months with one employer.

Possibility to study

You can study in Australia for up to 4 months. Thus, you can choose full-time or part-time courses during these 4 months. If your main goal is to study, then go for a student visa.

Your other rights

  • Stay in Australia for a period of 12 months with the possibility of leaving and entering the territory as many times as you wish.
  • You have the possibility to renew your visa twice under certain conditions.

Working Holiday Visa 417 – How to apply

Application Process

  1. Determine Your Visa Type: Check which visa you’re eligible for – subclass 417 or subclass 462, depending on your country of citizenship.
  2. Gather Required Documents: Prepare necessary documents, including passport, bank statements, and any other required by the Department of Home Affairs.
  3. Apply Online: Applications are submitted through the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs website. Ensure all information is accurate and complete.
  4. Pay the Visa Application Fee: Fees must be paid at the time of application. The cost is subject to change but is currently AUD 635.
  5. Wait for Approval: Processing times can vary. Once approved, you’ll receive a visa grant notification.

To apply:

  1. Login to HomeAffairs
  2. Go to “Apply”
  3. Create an account “Create an ImmiAccount”
  4. Click the first link of the table “First Working Holiday Visa”
  5. Complete the form (about 15 min).
  6. Pay online $650 non-refundable (price as at July 2024)
  7. Once payment is made, you will receive a Transaction Reference Number (TRN) that you need to keep – You can track and follow your application online through your immi account.

Processing time

The timeframe for obtaining a visa is quite variable. It is sometimes granted within minutes or less than 24 hours, but in other cases it can take a month to a month and a half, or longer.

Once it is granted you will receive an email with the attached document. We recommend that you print it.

Renew your Working Holiday Visa in Australia

You can apply for a second or third Working Holiday Visa to extend your stay in Australia if you wish.

The requirements to apply for a second Working Holiday Visa

1. Be between 18 and 30 at the time of application (or 35 for Irish, Canadian, French, Italian, Dutch and British citizens)
2. Have a valid passport
3. Have completed three months or 88 days of specified work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday visa. Eligible jobs include agriculture, horticulture, fishing, mining, construction or hospitality in eligible regions of Australia.

Eligible regions and jobs

To find out the list of eligible regions, see: Eligible regions to renew your WHV. Some regions are EXCLUDED from the list, including the surroundings of large cities (Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, etc.). It is therefore important to check carefully before starting a job.
To find out which jobs are eligible for renewal, see our dedicated article: Eligible Jobs to renew your WHV.

The request for the second WHV, can be made from Australia or outside the country. If you are applying from Australia, you will need to stay in the country pending the immigration decision. If you are applying outside the country, you will have to wait for the decision before you can re-enter the country.

And if you get a second Working Holiday visa, don’t forget to extend your health insurance.

Please note that since 1 July 2024, UK passport holders are no longer required to work in eligible areas and jobs to renew their WHV.

Do a third year WHV

Working Holiday Visa holders can apply for a third visa. In order to apply, you must complete 6 months of specified work in regional areas during your second WHV (417 or 462). The types of jobs and eligible regional areas are the same as for obtaining a second visa. The price of the visa is the same as for a first and second WHV – $650.

Note: The 6 months of eligible work in rural areas must have been completed after July 1, 2019.

Prepare for your Working Holiday Visa

How much time do you need to prepare for your trip?

The amount of time people usually give themselves before heading off to Australia varies. Some people like to plan a year in advance, while others make snap decisions and head off as soon as three months after applying for their visa.

We recommend giving yourself about six months to save money, plan, get your documents in order, and get a better deal on your flight tickets by booking with time to spare.

What do I need to pack for my Working Holiday Visa?

Australia is known for its warm and sunny weather, so you’ll want to pack t-shirts, shorts, and other light clothes. You’ll also need to protect yourself from the sun with hats, sunglasses and sunscreen. However, bear in mind that some parts of Australia do get quite cold, so bring a jumper and some pants.

Bear in mind that you will be limited by your airline’s baggage allowance. Check your weight allowance for hand luggage (generally 7kg or 10kg) and check in luggage (this is usually 20kg but can go up to 30kg if you pay extra). If you are flying to Australia with two different airlines, they may have different baggage allowances, so don’t get caught out by this!

If you have lots of clothes or other items you can’t bear to leave at home but can’t fit in your suitcase, you can use a service like Send My Bag to send luggage to Australia.

Documents to pack for Australia

  • Passport (valid for longer than the length of your stay)
  • Copy of your Working Holiday Visa
  • Your travel insurance policy
  • Driver’s licence
  • Photocopy of your ID
  • Photocopies of your birth cert, college degrees and other official documents you may need

How to budget for your Working Holiday Visa

Before you apply for your WHV, you need to ensure that you have enough savings for your big adventure. Make sure you budget for your visa application costs, your travel insurance and your flight tickets as well as the minimum funds in your bank account requested by the Australian government, which is $5000.

Australia has a high cost of living, so you’ll need to be certain that you have enough money to support yourself until you get on your feet. If you plan on working in the country, it could take you a few weeks or even months to get a job, so the more savings you have, the better. Budget at least $400-$600 a week for accommodation, food, public transportation and going out. For your accommodation on arrival, the best options are hostels and Airbnb to give you time to find a roommate. If you plan on renting in a flatshare or getting your own place, bear in mind that you will also need to pay a bond or deposit. The most bond you can be required to pay is an amout equal to 4 weeks’ rent.

If you plan to go on a road trip when you get to Australia, you’ll need to buy a car. You can find low-end cars from $4,500 and equipped campervans in the $8,500 range. The prices vary depending on the time of year and the city you’re based in.

Read also : Budget for a WHV

What to do on arrival on your Working Holiday Visa?

When you arrive in Australia, you’ll need to get yourself set up for work, accommodation, and so on.

Check in at your accommodation

It’s a good idea to stay in a hostel for the first few days or weeks, to meet other travellers, make friends and get recommendations about the area. If you plan on staying in your city of arrival longer-term, you can find apartments and house shares in Facebook groups or on websites like Gumtree and Flatmates.

Buy a Sim card

The main mobile phone networks in Australia are Telstra, Optus and Vodafone. The quality of their national coverage varies, especially once you leave the major cities. Telstra has the best coverage in the Outback and more regional areas.

Open a bank account

The main banks in Australia are WestpacANZ (Australian and New Zealand Banking Group), NAB (National Australia Bank) and Commonwealth. With some banks, you can actually apply to open your bank account from your home country. You then just need to show ID at your bank of choice when you arrive to complete the process.

Get your Tax File Number

Your Tax File Number (TFN) is a tax number required by law to work in Australia. To get this number you can apply online on the ATO Website or in an ATO office (in major cities).

Transfer your money

You will need to transfer your money from your home currency to Australian dollars. It is better to use a money transfer service like CurrencyFair or Wise, to avoid getting stung by unfavourable exchange rates and fees from your bank.

4.7/5 - (13 votes)


  1. Hello, I was granted and paid for a 417 visa in March 2019 but due to my Mum receiving a terminal cancer diagnosis I did not enter Australia. Am I eligible to reapply for my 1st 417 visa since I didn’t enter the country using my initial application? Thank you

  2. Hello, I’ve IELTS result that was taken on 28 Nov 2020, and I cannot apply due to Covid-19. Now I was planning to apply for the Visa. Can I still use the result or should I retake the test? Thank you

  3. Hello Im applying a 462 , may I pls know if I need a return ticket as most airlines only offer 6mths return date,I have sufficient funds on arrival, also do I need health insurance when applying or can do so after being granted? Thanks!

  4. Hello, i am applying for 462 visa (expecting to travel by november this year). Regarding the 6 months temporary relaxation, say if i start work before 31 dec 2022, does that mean i can keep workng for the same company for the rest of my visa duration without 6 months limitation? Thanks!!

  5. Hi , if I apply for the 417 visa, does the 12 months validity start when it’s approved or when you start travelling? It says it can take up to 4 months so I want to allow plenty of time, however, if it’s a lot quicker I won’t be ready to go!

  6. Hi!
    I would love to work and visit Australia but will become 31 on 21 September 2023. How long am I able to ask for the WHV and can I also renew this visum after one year even if I turned 31 already?
    Thank you!

  7. Hello! I am looking to apply for the Working Holiday visa 417. I’m working on accumulating the required funds in my bank account, but I’ve read various things about how to prove the 5000 AUD + return air fair: I’ve read in some places that showing adequate credit card limit would be sufficient, is this true? Similarly, would a bank loan/line of credit be accepted?

  8. Hi

    My boyfriend applied for 417, but he doesn’t have the $5,000 sufficient funds. He applied for 2 417 visa before and this is his 3rd one, he applied from Aus.

    Although he doesn’t have the $5,000, his family overseas sends him money if he needs and also he has friends here that help him financially if needed. I am wondering if it would be valid for him to provide 3 months worth of his payslips to show he is working, and also for me (as a third party) to write a letter confirming that he can support himself financially?

    If you have ay other suggestions please let me know, we are super worried regarding the visa 🙁

  9. Hi! I am hoping you can help. My partner is Polish (holds a Polish passport), therefore only qualifies for visa sub class 462.

    He grew up in the UK, and did primary school, secondary school and college but NOT university. On the education part of the visa, it asks for Tertiary qualification OR a degree.. would any of you know if he would be granted a visa with only having done up to college and not further? We are so, so confused.

    Many thanks, Paula

  10. HI My friend is here in Melbourne now from Taiwan and on a 417, what’s the rule now with extending the visa, is it still 88 days in a regional location ?

  11. Hi, hope you can help, my age 42 soon 43,can I apply visa sub class 462? coz in the website said 18 – 30. And I have uncle that citizen there. Any suggestions you have for me. Thank you

  12. Hi I’m 22F from the US wondering if I need to get a health exam with the chest x-ray? Can I send my credit card limit of $5,000 USD for my sufficient funds? Also do you have to scan your documents or can you take pictures?

    Thank you!

    • Hi Olive,
      The medical exams depends on your personal situation (past travels etc) so cannot answer that. Regarding the funds, you can attach a bank statement, a screenshot or even a letter stating you have the suffisant funds. Scans are always better but you can DL an app on your phone to convert the photos into scans (ie pdf scanner). Cheers

  13. Hi, I have two questions. Will I be able to sponsor anyone for WHV so they don’t need to worry about $5000 in their account? Also, how can anyone prove that he/she studied in English medium in primary or secondary school? What certificate will immigration ask for to prove it.

  14. Hi! I am from The Netherlands, turned 31 last summer and would like to do a 6-12 month workaway /volunteering in Australia. What Visa should I apply for? I only see the ‘working holiday visa’ but that has the 31 age limit. I have a University degree in marketing (and sufficient funds) but am looking for work with horses on a ranch, so I don’t know if that is going to be an issue. Thank you in advance!

  15. Hi
    If I want to apply for a second WHV I was last in Australia in 2012 is it possible to be approved because I never completed the 88 day regional work?


  16. My daughter, who is looking to apply for 417 visa, sometimes suffers from anxiety and has a prescription to help her manage the symptoms. Does this need to included in the VISA application? Many thanks.

  17. There’s english requirement for 462 visa. I have ielts result band 5.5 which already exceeded 1 year but still below 2years. Can i use this?

  18. Hi there 😀

    may I ask if I can still apply for 417 visa? as I am from Malaysia, it only mentions Malaysia can apply for 462 visas but not 417 visa

    Thank you

  19. Hi,

    I applied for a WHV 417 in 2020 I could only complete around 4 months of my 12 I should of had in Australia because of the COVID pandemic, am I able to re – apply for a new working holiday visa subclass 417 ? how would I do this ?


  20. Hi,

    My boyfriend is a US Citizen and would like to come to Australia on the subclass 462 Working Holiday Visa. With the specified work, majority of the occupations says that it can only be completed if its in northern or remote Australia. Is that true?
    He would like to do hospitality in Sydney. Is that allowed?

  21. Hi,

    I’ve got my 417 visa application approved in Dec 2022 (must enter by Dec 2023). I plan to enter Australia in September 2023 by which stage I will have turned 31 in July 2023. Regarding applying for the 2nd year extension to the 417 visa am I able to do so if I complete the 88 days regional work? The reason I ask is because from reading various posts on your site it says the regional work needs to be completed before my 31st birthday in order to apply for the 2nd year 417 visa?


  22. Hi my son got a 417 visa last year in August he travelled to oz but came home after 2 weeks and didn’t do any work there, he’s hoping to go back in May when will his visa run out

  23. Hello. I am planning to apply for 417 visa this year. I am currently 28 y/o and aware that FTA should be coming into force this year which will increase the age limit to 35.
    However my other half is 31 years old and not british passport holder. Can I bring her with me on my WHV? What would be the best solution?

  24. My visa has been granted and I have to enter on or before 16th September however due to a change in circumstances I don’t have 5000 dollars to enter with
    Once my visa expires as I will not enter in September can I apply for another 1st year working holiday visa and what are the chances of it being granted ?
    Thank you

    • Hi Sophie, you can either wait for the date to pass or cancel your application. Know that the requested amount is not usually checked by customs but only when you are applying for your WHV.
      If you decide not to go before your visa expires, then you can apply for a new WHV. Cheers

  25. Hi my son travelled to Australia 2019 on a 417visa. He was due to be there for 6 months, but came back early March due to covid.
    He wants to go back in September this year, but has missed the deadline for applying for the waiver.
    He didn’t do 3 months specified work – what visa could he get this time? Can he write and ask for a waiver now.

    • Hi Sharon, unfortunately he missed the deadline so he won’t be able to apply for a WHV. He can still go on a student visa (but need to be enrolled in a school) or a tourist visa (but he won’t be able to work legally in Australia). Cheers

  26. I am a digital nomad and would like to work online while I am there. Can I get a working visa just by working my own job online? If not, do I have to have a job offer prior to applying for a work and holiday visa? Lastly does a specific kind of work need to be offered (service, cooperate, ect.) to get this visa?

  27. What happens if I need to cancel due to a death or illness of a family member in the uk while I’m in Australia and I’m needed in the uk
    Can I reapply

  28. Hi if I have to leave after only 6 months but cannot go back until after my visa runs out do I need a new visa or does it stop running when I leave the country and I can go back in and finish off the remaining 6 months?

  29. Hi my son had a why in April 2018 He entered Australia but had to return to the UK after 1 month due to family illness.
    He never did any work.
    He has been offered a job, can you please tell me what type of visa can he apply for?

  30. Hi,
    Under the new regulations, can British work anywhere in Aus during their 1st year? (ideally Sydney).
    Do you know if it’s easy to get professional jobs on the Working Holiday Visa?

  31. Hello, my boyfriend is from the United States and wants to come to Australia on the 462 visa as he intends to make money while living here. He will be staying at my house where I live with my parents and he will not be paying rent. Would he still need the $5000 for the application? Is there a way around this or do you need $5000 no matter what?

  32. Hi, i’m from the UK and planning on travelling out this year or next on my first WHV, if i decide to go for my 2nd and 3rd WHV’s what happens after my 3rd year WHV has run out, how could i stay in australia to keep working / living there?

  33. I am trying to find information about the age restriction. I am currently 30 and doing my first WHV. I arrived in March so I have until March, but I will turn 31 in November. Do I need to complete the 88 days and apply for my second year visa before the age of 31 although I still have time left? And after, for the 3rd year, can I still do it if I have done 6 months on my second year, but will be 31 years old by then? Thanks

    • Hi Jan, Do you hold a UK passport? If so the age limit is now 35. Otherwise, you can apply for a second/third year until your 31st bday. So yyes you will need to complete your 88 days before turning 31 and you will need to apply before your bday. Cheers

  34. I am wondering about how the Medicare system works for myself coming from the Uk and would I be rejected due to having non seizure epilepsy with medication?

  35. Hi all

    Hopefully you can help

    I got my 417 in June 22 and travelled and stayed in Aus for 6 months. I then came back to the UK for a visit but a health issue with my Mum meant i have stayed in the UK until now, I want togo back now but only have two weeks left on my visa – If i apply for an extension then will they say No as i didnt work my 88 days as i was planning to do this in the secind 6 month period of my 1st Visa ?

    Any advice

    • Hi Lee, because you didnt do your 88 days, you wont be able to renew (at this stage). However, from 1st July 2024, the requirement to work in regional areas/jobs will be removed for UK passport holders. So from then you will be able to apply for another WHV.Cheers

  36. Hi,

    I am wondering what are the example of “other construction activities” counted as specified work in a specified postcode.

    We did minor demolition work – walls, external structures, internal such as kitchens, wardrobes etc., maintenance and repairs of building (houses) that were moldy, or were flooded due to burst pipes / overflowing bath etc., waterproofing where there was leaks / houses flooded due broken pipes etc.

    Would this count?

  37. Hi, I was granted a 417 visa and the deadline for me to enter Australia is the end of Jan 2024. I’m now unable to go to Oz by that date due to work commitments.
    Can I just reapply for another first year 417 WH visa if I never use the one I was previously granted and don’t enter Oz at all before reapplying? Thanks.

  38. Hello, I’ve just applied for my first year working holiday visa 417. Looking at entering Australia June-july 2024. I’m 35 and turning 36 this October 2024. Will I be able apply for my second year working holiday visa if I’m 36 at the end of the first year? Or will I need to apply for a second year working holiday visa before October this year while I’m still in my first year with around 9 months left on that first year to do? Would like to know exactly how it works please! Thank you

  39. My Niece arrived on her 417 visa in November 2023 does she still have to complete the 88 days of rural work as I am aware it is changing in July 2024?

  40. Hi there,

    I am currently working in the UK and planning to work in australia on the 417 visa. I have the following questions below about the visa itself:

    – Is it possible to move there and work as a freelancer for my job that I work here in the UK?

    – If yes, how do i go about setting this up? Do i need an ABN?

    – If yes, does the 6 month rule apply against the company i work for in the uk?

    If this is possible, I would like help with my visa application!

    Kind regards,

    • Hi there,
      You can still work for your clients in the UK but you will need to use your freelancer status in the UK. If you intend to extend your activity in Australia and have Australian clients, then you will need an Australian ABN. Cheers


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here