Open top menu
Cheap Campervan Rental New Zealand

Cheap Campervan Rental New Zealand

Do you want to rent a campervan or a motorhome in New Zealand? Keep in mind that renting a vehicle in New Zealand can get quite expensive. Nevertheless, we have some really good advice on how to save some cash when renting a campervan. Read on to find all about cheap campervan rental in New Zealand.

Campervan rental New Zealand: How to pay less

The best way to get some really good discounts on camper rentals is to visit specialised agents. They get some really good rates and they know all about the best deals. MotorHome Republic is the leader in Australia & New Zealand and works with more than 50 rental companies.

 

 

How does MotorHome Republic works?

As an agent, MotorHome Republic offers discounted rates from various vehicle suppliers. So you can be sure that you won’t pay too much for your campervan rental. Campervan companies use agents like MotorHome Republic and offer some good deals to rent out as many campervans as possible. On average a supplier manages to rent out about 30% of their vehicles to direct customers. So for the remaining 70% they need agents like MotorHome Republic.

.

Campervan rental New Zealand: How to find a cheap camper

To get a good deal for camper rental in New Zealand you have to understand how the companies set their prices. Check out the following criteria:

Type of vehicle: The newer the vehicle and the better it is equipped, the more you have to pay. If you want a vehicle that contains everything (shower, toilet, kitchen), you have to pay more. It can make sense to rent a camper that is more basic and pay more for camping (camping sides including shower & electricity: 30-45 NZD/night).

Season: The peak season in New Zealand is between November and February. Prices during school holidays and long weekends are also higher. In low season (June/July), you can rent a vehicle for 30 NZD per day, whereas in high season (December/January) you have to pay up to 100 NZD for the same car

Rental Duration: The longer you rent a camper, the cheaper the daily rate gets. Usually suppliers set different levels (+7days, +14days, +21days, +30days). So it makes sense to hire a camper for a longer period rather than 2 short ones…

The availability of vehicles: Like airline tickets tariffs increase related to their availability. When there’s only a few left, prices rise.

Departure and arrival: In New Zealand there are two main cities: Auckland and Christchurch. In Auckland and Christchurch you’ll find lots of camper rental companies with cheaper prices than anywhere else in New Zealand. We recommend to not rent your camper in towns like Queenstown, Picton and Dunedin because there rates are relatively higher. If you want to do a one way road trip between Christchurch and Auckland keep in mind that it’s cheaper to rent a van in Christchurch cause most of the tourists will arrive in Auckland. Also note that companies charge extra fees for one way rentals that varies (usually around 100 NZD)

Ferry: With some rental companies it’s allowed to use ferries. This can be more convenient and sometimes is even cheaper. Check prices on Interislander: www.interislander.co.nz

Booking in advance: The earlier you book the cheaper it is.

The type of insurance: It is important to book your vehicle with a full cover insurance. The price that is displayed on the website only includes a standard insurance. This is free and compulsory. It’s the third party insurance. If you don’t want to risk losing your deposit (between 2500 NZD and 7500 NZD) you have to get a full cover insurance. Prices for full cover insurance vary depending on the supplier, type of vehicle (size/age etc.) and duration of rental. Usually you have to pay between 25 and 50 NZD per day. Check out Rentalcover to get some really good insurance deals.

The equipment: The more equipment you book extra, the more expensive it gets…e.g. GPS, table & camping chairs, child seats etc.

 

Camper rental New Zealand: Compare prices

With MotorHome Republic you can compare prices from many different vehicles & suppliers in Australia and New Zealand. It’s free of charge and you can book the vehicle online:

 

 

Cheap Campervan Rental New Zealand
5 (100%) 8 vote[s]
Backpackers Guide
Written by Backpackers Guide

The ultimate guide to work and travel around Australia with a Working Holiday Visa ! Get all the tips and advice from other backpackers. The first travel guide written by Backpackers for Backpackers in Australia!!!