If you intend to work in a pub or any gambling establishment in Australia, the Responsible Service of Gambling (RSG) or Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG) is a training you will have to do. In this article we will cover everything you need to know when choosing a course to acquire your RSG / RCG certificate in Australia.
What is the RSG and RCG?
The RCG (Responsible Conduct of Gambling) for NSW or RSG (Responsible Service of Gambling) for the other states is a certificate that allows you to work in gambling establishments such as pubs or racecourses. The RSG course specialises in training for detecting and if necessary, assisting in a gambling problem as well as the use of pokies. The RSG / RCG is usually required in addition to the RSA.
(Read Get your RSA Certificate for more information).
Do I need to get the RSG certificate?
All states of Australia have different regulations surrounding the Responsible Service of Gambling. States such as Queensland and NSW have very strict gambling-related laws. Therefore, before completing the training it is good to know whether it is mandatory in the state/territory you want to work in.
– New South Wales: RCG is compulsory
– Queensland: RSG is compulsory
– Victoria: You have 6 months from the start date of employment to get your RSG to complete and pass the RSG training
– South Australia: You have 6 months from the start date of employment t to complete and pass the RSG training
– Western Australia: RSG is not required
– Northern Territory: You have 3 months from the start date of employment to complete and pass the RSG training
– Tasmania: RSG is compulsory
Where to get the RSG / RCG Course
Some states allow you to complete the course online, but others require you to attend in class training. Online courses generally take 3 to 4 hours whereas classroom training takes approximately 6 hours, including an exam.
Below is an information guide on each state / territory.
– New South Wales: Training must be completed in classroom. Online training is not available.
– Queensland: Training can be done online or in a classroom.
– Victoria: Training must be completed in classroom. Online training is not available.
– South Australia: Training can be done online or in a classroom.
– Western Australia: RSG is not necessary.
– Northern Territory: Training can be done online or in a classroom.
– Tasmania: Training can be done online or in a classroom.
In NSW, make sure the RCG course provider is accredited. A list of approved course providers can be found on the NSW OLGR website. In NSW, only the RCG certificate obtained in NSW is accepted. NSW does not accept training certificates from other states. QLD does not accept training certificates from other states either.
How much does it cost?
The RSG Certificate does not expire therefore you will only have to pay for the accredited course once. The course usually costs $60 AUD. The price is subject to change depending on the chosen provider.
It might be worth getting your RSA Certificate at the same time as some employers require you to have both your RSA and RSG to work in their establishment. For only $24 AUD, the RSA course can be completed online. We recommend using the online provider, Express Online Training. Please note that this online course is only valid in QLD, WA & NT.
For an online course valid in all states (except NSW and VIC), we recommend you to use Express Online Training.
RTO registration code: 40592 SITHGAM201 – Provide Responsible Gambling Services Currently: SITHGAM001 & Formerly: SITHGAM006A
Once you have completed your course and made the payment, you will receive your nationally accredited Statement of Attainment as a PDF file. The certificate will be recognised by employers and government agencies. In Queensland, Western Australia, Northern Territory, and South Australia. For the other states, you can use the statement of attainment to apply for recognition of prior learning. In most cases you will only have to do a short bridging course to become fully qualified in that state.
Is it worth completing a RSG/RCG course?
Having an RSG/RCG certificate will help you to secure work faster in the hospitality industry in Australia. Due to the strict regulations on gambling, getting the certificate before you apply for jobs will give you an advantage. It shows that you are serious about working in hotels, pubs and other establishments. The course is cheap and will definitely allow a broader range of jobs opportunities. Finally, you can claim it back as a work expense in your Australian tax return at the end of the financial year. So do not hesitate and get your RSG Course today!
Other Training & Certificates in Australia:
- Get your White Card in Australia – Online Course
- Get your RSA Certificate
- Coffee Barista Course in Australia
Updated on the 28th of June 2019. First published on the 20th of September 2018