Home Work in Australia Get your RSA Certificate in NSW

Get your RSA Certificate in NSW

Get your RSA Certificate in NSW

To be able to work in Hospitality in New South Wales you need to obtain the RSA Certificate, it is mandatory. This course is relevant for anyone serving alcohol. This article will cover everything you need to know about the RSA certificate in NSW.

What is the RSA certificate in Australia?

The RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) is a certificate displaying that you know the policies concerning alcohol consumption in Australia. It is a compulsory if you want to work in hospitality.

You obtain your RSA by taking part in a course, either online or face-to-face. With this certificate, you are approved to work in all places where alcohol is served or sold (restaurants, bars, pubs, hotels, bottle shops).

What does RSA training cover?

RSA training covers various aspects, including preventing the sale of alcohol to minors, recognising signs of drunkenness, managing excessive alcohol consumption and the legal responsibilities of employees and employers.

During the RSA training, you will learn to serve alcohol responsibly by identifying intoxicated patrons and underage drinkers. This course will also bring awareness and prevention of drink driving. It will help you to understand the regulations regarding alcohol and its consumption in Australia. You will also learn to measure standard drinks and legally sell and serve alcohol in Australia.

The RSA is compulsory for anyone working in an establishment that sells or serves alcohol, including owners, managers, waiters and security guards.

RSA in New South Wales

It’s possible to do the entire course online or in a classroom. However, the RSA course in New South Wales differs from the other courses provided in other states or territories. So, if you want to work in hospitality in NSW, you will have to obtain the NSW RSA certificate, which is only valid in this state. We recommend obtaining your RSA NSW online with EOT or in classroom in Sydney with Edway.

RSA NSW Online

We recommend obtaining your RSA NSW with the accredited company Express Online Training (RTO 40592), (RSA – Provide responsible service of alcohol – SITHFAB002) if you decide to do it online:


  • EOT is Fully NSW Gov Accredited
  • At-Home Course – No Classroom
  • Only pay if you pass
  • Price includes the cost of ‘NSW Competency Card’
  • Short Audio Assessment
  • Stop & Resume at any time
  • Download & Print Interim Certificate
  • Don’t need speakers or headphones

Note: You will need to create a USI number (Unique Student Identifier) for the completion of the course. It is free and easy. You can create this number even if you are on a Working Holiday visa. To get your USI, simply visit  https://www.usi.gov.au/students/create-your-usi. If you are obtaining your RSA in a classroom, you will create your USI in the training centre.
You can only get this number if you are in Australia as it is linked to your passport number and visa. 

RSA Sydney in Classroom

Many decide to do their RSA in Sydney in a classroom. Sometimes it is just easier if you don’t travel with a laptop or have a stable internet connection available. For those backpackers, we recommend doing your RSA in Sydney with the accredited company Edway (RTO 91401). The training centers are located in the CBD in Darlinghurst, Seven Hills and Mona Vale. The training will take you a day but you will leave the centre with your certificate in hands.

All Australia Backpacker readers receive a discount of $5. Use the Code: ABGEN at checkout when you book online.

How much is the NSW RSA Certificate?

Different providers will charge different amounts but the typical price for an NSW RSA certificate appears to be around $120-$170. We recommend the RSA Online course with the company EOT for $124 (instead of $190), the classroom course in Sydney with Edway is $170 with discount.

How is my NSW RSA Certificate Delivered?

Once you have completed your course (online or in a center), you will receive an official Liquor & Gaming NSW (OLGR) interim certificate. This certificate is valid for 90 days and allows you to start working immediately.

You will then need to go to a Service Center to obtain your final card, the Competency Card. This laminated card includes your photo and proves your ability to work in hospitality. When visiting the Service Center, take your temporary certificate as well as documents proving your identity. The list of documents that can prove your identity is provided on the back of the temporary certificate. This can be your driver’s license, passport, a credit card with your name, telephone bill, etc. After verifying your identity, a photo of you will be taken at the center to finalise your card.

Click here to find your closest Service Centre. Your Photo Card will then be sent to your nominated shipping address.

When should I get my RSA?

You should complete the course before looking for a job in hospitality. It will give you more chances to find a job. Indeed, it is compulsory to have the RSA certificate to start your job. Often job advertisements will state this. So be prepared before you apply for a job where you will have to serve alcohol and complete your training as soon as possible. If you start working without your RSA, you risk a fine if you are checked.

Breaches of the RSA can result in fines for establishments and employees, and in some cases the suspension or revocation of the establishment’s alcohol licence.

5/5 - (9 votes)
The ultimate guide to work and travel around Australia with a Working Holiday Visa! Get all the tips and advice from other backpackers. The first travel guide written by Backpackers for Backpackers in Australia!!!