If you intend to work in the construction industry in Australia, the White Card Certification is a compulsory requirement. The White Card course focuses on specialised training regarding workplace health and safety and a general introduction to the construction industry. In this article we have put together everything you need to know when choosing a course in Australia.
What is a White Card?
In Australia, the White Card is legally required for those working in the construction industry. This training aims to provide workers with information on safe work practices, risk management, personal protection, safety signs, equipment to prevent accidents at the work place, as well as workplace injury management and workers compensation system.
The White Card training is aimed at all workers who will be working in the construction industry as:
- Self-employed persons (working under their ABN)
- Trainees / Apprentices
During the course you will be trained to:
- Identify Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) legislative requirements;
- Communicate and report processes;
- Recognise Construction Hazards;
- Understand OHS Incident Response Procedures.
How to get a White Card?
The White Card training is recognised nationally throughout Australia under the National Code of Practice for Induction for Construction Work. From July 2019, you will need to be eligible to get your White Card Online. If you are eligible you can commence your online white card course now!
The White Card certificate does not expire, unless you have not worked in the industry for more than two years.
There are two options to obtain the White Card:
- Face to face training in a classroom with your certificate received at the end of the day.
- Sit an online course. The online course is self-paced and can be completed in multiple sittings. However, most students completed the course in 4-6 hours. Once the course started, you will have 3 months to complete it online.
Note: At the end of your course, you have to create a USI number (Unique Student Identifier), which is free and required for the completion of the course. You can create this number even if you are on a Working Holiday visa. To get your number, visit https://www.usi.gov.au/students/create-your-usi.
The USI is linked to your passport number and visa however, you can only get your USI if you are in Australia.
How much does it cost?
Prices range from $40 to $100 or $150 if you want to get a package.
There are a lot of websites that offer online training for the White Card. We highly recommend you to use Express Online Training, which offer the White Card online course for $
59 – $39 SPECIAL OFFER (valid for all states and territories).
RTO registration code: 40592
Course Code: CPCCWHS1001 – Prepare to work safely in the construction industry
Features & Benefits
- Fast & Easy
- Fully Accredited
- Online Course Available 24/7
- Short Phone Assessment
- Automatically saves your progress
- Only pay if you pass
- Stop & Resume at any time
- Don’t need flash or speakers
What the others DON’T do:
- We will beat any price by 10%
- Built for mobile devices (phone, tablet etc)
- Support until late – 7 days a week
- Fully qualified & locally based support
- No hidden costs or nasty surprises
So if you are thinking about working in hospitality later on, it is worth purchasing a training package to obtain your RSA Certificate as well.
Is it worth getting the White Card?
If you intend to work in the construction industry in Australia, the White Card is compulsory. The White Card will assist you in more opportunities to find jobs in Australia. The construction industry is a growing industry in Australia while pay rates are usually bargain above the award wage. However, working in this industry is not easy and requires a good physical condition (long hours and physical work). Finally, keep all your training receipts on record as the training expenses can be declared when your end of financial year tax return is completed. Australia’s financial year is from July – June.
Other Training & Certificates in Australia
- Get your RSA Certificate in Australia
- Get your RSG/RCG in Australia
- Coffee Barista Course in Australia
Updated on 18 July 2019. First published on the 16th of June 2016