Home RSA certificate in Australia – Info and discounts (2024)

RSA certificate in Australia – Info and discounts (2024)

In Australia, anyone involved in the sale, service, or promotion of alcohol must have a valid Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate. Therefore, if you intend to work in a bar, restaurant, bottle shop or even a nightclub you will need to get a RSA Certificate. Whether you’re a backpacker on a Working Holiday Visa or a student looking to earn some extra cash, this guide is your go-to resource.

What is a RSA certificate in Australia?

An RSA certificate is a qualification that proves an individual has been trained to serve alcohol in compliance with local laws and regulations. It is compulsory to work in hospitality in Australia. This requirement ensures that staff understand their legal obligations and are able to serve alcohol responsibly, minimizing the risk of alcohol-related harm in the community. Here’s everything you need to know about obtaining an RSA certificate in Australia.

Mandatory in all states, you obtain your RSA by taking part in a special course. With this certificate you are allowed to work in all places where alcohol is served or sold (restaurants, bars, pubs, hotels, bottle shops).

The training covers a range of topics, including the effects of alcohol on the human body, strategies for dealing with intoxicated patrons, understanding and adhering to the legal responsibilities associated with alcohol service, and how to refuse service safely and effectively.

Why Do You Need an RSA Certificate?

Holding an RSA certificate is legally required for all employees involved in the sale, supply, and service of alcohol in licensed venues across most states and territories in Australia. This includes bartenders, wait staff, floor staff, and venue managers. The certificate helps promote a safer drinking environment and reduces the likelihood of alcohol-related incidents.

How much does a RSA certificate cost?

Rates vary between $24 and $175 depending on the package chosen and the state where it is done. For all states except Victoria, the RSA can be completed online. Here are the costs to complete your RSA, including our discounts:

  • Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia, ACT, TAS, Northern Territory: $24 online
  • Victoria: $50 or $35 online
  • New South Wales: $125 online and $175 in classroom (use our links to get discounts)

Start your Australian adventure on the right foot! If you’re planning to work in hospitality during your stay in Australia, securing your Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate is essential. Don’t wait and sign up for an RSA course today and open the door to exciting job opportunities across the country!

New South Wales
Other states
 Online training Online training Online training
Instead of $190Instead of $80Instead of $49
 Classroom in Sydney Classroom in Melbourne
With promo code: ABGENNSW

How to obtain your RSA certificate?

The process for obtaining an RSA certificate varies slightly between states and territories, but generally involves the following steps:

  1. Choose a Registered Training Organization (RTO): You must complete your RSA training through an RTO that is approved by the local liquor licensing authority in the state or territory where you will be working.
  2. Complete the Training Course: RSA courses can be completed online or in-person, depending on the requirements of the specific state or territory. The course typically takes a few hours to complete.
  3. Pass the Assessment: At the end of the course, you will need to pass an assessment to demonstrate your understanding of the material covered.
  4. Receive Your Certificate: Once you pass the assessment, you will be issued an RSA certificate. In some states, this certificate is valid indefinitely, while in others, it may need to be renewed periodically.

Online and In Person training

The Online training is self-paced. So you have the freedom to take breaks whenever you need or want to. Once completed, you can download your certificate directly. To complete the test, you have access to numerous documents and videos. It’s possible to do the entire course online. We recommend the accredited company Express Online Training (RTO 40592), which have several offers for different states (RSA – Provide responsible service of alcohol – SITHFAB002).

If you are in Sydney and would like to attend a centre to get your certificate, we recommend the  accredited company Edway (RTO 91401). The training will take you a day and you will leave the centre with your certificate in hands.

If you are in Victoria, you can get your RSA Victoria online or in a classroom. Indeed since the Covid pandemic, the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation has given authority to some companies to provide online virtual classes. You can decide to go with RSA Melbourne ($50 – includes VCGLR Certificate) or pick EOT ($35), both fully accredited.

Get your RSA in Queensland, Western Australia, South Australia and Northern Territory

You can easily get your RSA online in the States: QLD, WA, SA, ACT, TAS and NT. We recommend the company EOT which is offering a discount for our readers ($24 instead of $49!).


  • Short Phone Assessment
  • Available 24/7
  • Automatically save your progress
  • Stop & Resume at any time
  • Download & Print Certificate at the end of the course

Get your RSA for New South Wales

It’s possible to do the entire course online or to do it in a classroom. However, the RSA course in New South Wales differs from the other courses provided in other states or territories. So if you want to work in hospitality in NSW, you will have to obtain the NSW RSA certificate, which is only valid in this state.

Should you wish to do your training online, we recommend the company EOT which is offering a discount for our readers. You can also choose to get your RSA in a classroom if you are in Sydney. In this case, we recommend you use Edway Training for a $5 discount.

RSA NSW Online with EOT


  • EOT is Fully NSW Gov Accredited
  • At-Home Course – No Classroom
  • Only pay if you pass
  • Price includes cost of NSW Competency Card
  • Short Audio Assessment
  • Stop & Resume at any time
  • Download & Print Interim Certificate
  • Don’t need speakers or headphones


You are required to create a USI number (Unique Student Identifier) for the completion of the course. It is free and easy. You can create this number even if you are on a Working Holiday visa. To get your USI, simply visit  www.usi.gov.au/
You can only get this number if you are in Australia as it is linked to your passport number and visa. 

RSA Sydney in Classroom with Edway

Many choose to do their RSA in Sydney in a classroom. Sometimes it is just easier if you don’t travel with a laptop or have a stable internet connection. For those travellers, we recommend doing your RSA in Sydney with Edway (RTO 91401). The training centres are located in the CBD in Darlinghurst, Seven Hills and Mona Vale. The training will take you a day (6.5 hours) but you will leave the centre with your certificate in hands.

All Australia Backpackers Guide readers receive a discount of $5. Use the Code: ABGENNSW at checkout when you book online.

RSA for Victoria

Prior covid-19, in the state of Victoria you couldn’t get your RSA certificate online. It is now possible and the training takes one day, you will get your certificate at the end of the day.

Face-to-face with RSA Melbourne

We advise you to get your RSA with the company RSA Melbourne, approved by Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation to deliver the RSA Course via classroom. The course cost $50 and includes your VCGLR Certificate. You can book a RSA face-to-face one. The training is from 10 AM to 2 PM. Easily book your class using the below link. Just click on the link and choose a date: 

More Info: Get your RSA in Victoria

Online RSA training with EOT

It is possible to take your RSA Victoria training online since the pandemic. EOT, fully accredited (RTO 40592) offers online training for the state of Victoria at $35 instead of $80 thanks to our partnership. You can start your training by clicking on the following link:

The training is done online and takes between 4 and 6 hours depending on your pace. At the end, you will receive the Nationally Accredited Statement of Attainment and the Official VIC RSA Certificate.

Is the RSA certificate valid nationwide in Australia?

As the law surrounding the sale and service of alcohol vary from state to state, the RSA is not the same everywhere. Indeed, each state has it own liquor licensing requirements, therefore you cannot get a RSA certificate that is valid for all over Australia.

In normal times, the state of Victoria allows training only in classrooms and not online. However, because of the Covid 19 pandemic, the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation now authorised some companies to provide online training for RSA Victoria.

Note that for the state of New South Wales, the RSA is specific to the state. You can take the RSA NSW in class or online.

Do I need to get my RSA before starting a job ?

If you want to work in a place where alcohol is sold or served, it is a legal requirement that you complete the RSA training. You must have your RSA certificate before you start work in the RSA industry. Most of the job offers will directly require you to have a RSA to apply.

Aside from being a legal requirement, holding an RSA certificate can make you more employable in the hospitality industry, as it shows potential employers that you are trained and responsible. Additionally, the knowledge gained from RSA training can enhance your professional development and prepare you for handling various situations in the workplace effectively.

When and why should I get a RSA certificate?

I found a job but don’t have the RSA, what should I do ?

Generally, job advertisements specify that an RSA is necessary to start working. But you can also find some where employers specify that they are OK for you to take the RSA once you start working. In this case, the announcements will say: “RSA or willing to obtain it”. This means that you either have the RSA or you are ready to take it.

Either way, don’t stress! Some states allow you to start working without the certificate. Again, regulations vary by state/territory:

  • For QLD, RSA must be obtained within 30 days of commencement
  • In WA you must get your certificate within 28 days
  • In SA and Tasmania you must obtain your RSA within 3 months
  • In the NT (Northern Territory), the RSA must be obtained within 7 days of starting work.

When should I get my RSA?

You should complete the course before looking for a job in hospitality. It will give you more chances to find a job.

By not completing your RSA training, it will be much harder to secure a job in hospitality. So we recommend you to spend the money and get the RSA. The cost of training is affordable and will be repaid quickly once you find a job in this field. You can also claim the expenses of your RSA when doing your tax return. As these fees are considered to be work-related expenses, they are tax-deductible!

Other useful trainings in Australia

If you want to work in the hospitality industry in Australia, then other certifications could be of great use to you! Here are a few :


The RSG is a mandatory certificate to work in gaming establishments. You will learn how to detect people with gambling problems, how to use slot machines. Training is done online or in class.


Barista training teaches you how to become a coffee pro! If you want to work in a café, brasserie or restaurant, the Barista training will be extremely useful for you. You will learn how to use a coffee machine, how to make all kinds of coffees, etc.

Food Handler Certificate

The Food Handler Course is crafted to provide essential knowledge and skills crucial for maintaining food safety and hygiene across various dining environments, such as restaurants, cafes, fast-food chains, and catering companies. The curriculum includes critical subjects like preventing foodborne diseases, correct methods for handling food, maintaining personal cleanliness, cleaning and sanitization practices, and managing pests.

As of December 2023, Food Standards Australia New Zealand mandates that all personnel involved in food handling must possess verified training credentials for basic food handling tasks.

White card

On a completely different field, remember that if you wish to work in the building industry, you will need to get your White card.

Frequently asked questions

Why do I need an RSA certificate to work in a restaurant or bar in Australia?

The RSA certificate ensures that you’re equipped with the necessary skills to serve alcohol responsibly, promoting the safety and well-being of customers. It’s a legal requirement in most states and territories.

Is the RSA certificate mandatory for all hospitality jobs involving alcohol service?

Yes, in most Australian states and territories, an RSA certificate is mandatory for anyone involved in alcohol service, whether in restaurants, bars, clubs, or other hospitality settings.

What topics are covered in the RSA training course?

The RSA training course covers topics such as alcohol laws and regulations, recognizing signs of intoxication, managing difficult situations, and ensuring the safety of patrons.

How long does it take to complete the RSA training course?

The RSA training course duration varies, but it typically takes around 4 to 6 hours to complete. Online courses offer flexibility, allowing you to complete it at your own pace.

Is there a specific age requirement to take the RSA training?

The legal drinking age in Australia is 18, so you generally need to be at least 18 years old to take the RSA training and work in alcohol service roles.

Your journey in the Australian hospitality sector starts with an RSA certificate. Equip yourself with the knowledge and certification to responsibly serve alcohol and enjoy the vibrant social scene of Australia’s bars and restaurants.

Updated on 15/01/2024

4.8/5 - (84 votes)