Renting a vehicle in Australia is by far the best way to discover Australia if you don’t want to buy your own vehicle. When travelling in a motorhome, you will save money on hotel nights and you will have more freedom. However, costs for renting a motorhome in Australia varies. There are many rental companies and it sometimes becomes difficult to choose. Find out everything you need to know about motorhome rentals in Australia at a glance.
Cheap motorhome hire – Traveller tips
These are our traveller tips to get a good deal:
– Don’t get your rental motorhome in a small town (they are more expensive)
– Avoid “one way” rentals (learn more about “one way” rental below)
– Book well in advance
– Get your rental motorhome from agencies near the airport (prices in the city are often higher)
– It’s worth renting a motorhome for longer, as daily rates usually decrease gradually.
– Compare the additional mileage costs.
Motorhome rental – Compare prices
In our opinion, the best comparison website for motorhomes in Australia is Motorhome Republic. It will help you compare prices for different vehicles. It’s free of charge and you can book online.
Motorhome rental companies
High / medium budget: Apollo, Kea, Maui, Britz, Cruisin Tasmania Motorhome Brands
Low budget: Wicked Campers, Travellers Autobarn, Spaceships, Mighty, Jucy, camperman, Awesome Campers, Hippie Camper vans Brands Australia
There are different models available that can accommodate 2-6 people.
Thanks to its size, the 2-seater is easy to drive and consumes little petrol.
As this model is not much bigger than the 2-seater, it can only accommodate a couple with a young child. 5-seaters are hard to find though.
The 4-seater comes with two double beds and is ideal for a family with two children. However, it might be too small for a group of 4 friends.
This is the largest model available and can comfortably fit 4 adults. It’s ideal for families, two couples, or a group of friends.
Find more details on Motorhome Models in Australia
– Bunks (double / single or children beds)
– Kitchen with all necessary equipment (microwave, hob, fridge / freezer, kitchen utensils)
– Living room with a tablet and benches
– Shower with toilet
– Storage spaces
– Water tanks
– Gas cylinder
* Not always included:
– DVD player
– Linens (towels, sheets, pillows etc.)
– Child Seats
– Tables and chairs for camping
Best places to hire motorhomes in Australia
You most likely arrive in Australia in one of the major cities Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, or Brisbane, which is pretty convenient if you want to hire a motorhome in Australia. Due to the high competition among rental companies, you get better deals in these big cities. Compared to rental companies in the CBD, the ones close to the airport (not inside the airport) are usually cheaper. So you could start your trip straight away.
What to check for when renting a motorhome
– Carefully inspect your motorhome for damages before you sign the contract (interior, cockpit, engine etc.).
– Have a close look at your rental contract including the fine print (look for hidden fees).
– Take photos, especially of existing scratches and small damages.
– Ask questions when you pick up your motorhome.
– Double-check that the vehicle corresponds to the model you booked. It can happen that the model you booked is no longer available. In this case, you get a different model. If this happens, you should be upgraded.
– Ask for user directions (electrics, shower, toilet, bed, charging systems etc.). Make sure you know how everything works.
– If you’re planning on driving in Sydney, Melbourne, or Brisbane, get maps and find out about the toll procedure.
Motorhome Hire Insurance
It is important that you’ll get insurance to cover any potential damages. The insurances offered by rental companies can be quite expensive. It is better to get an insurance from a specialised company like Tripcover. An insurance for your rental motorhome costs between 9.30 AUD and 29.70 AUD per day – almost half of the price that rental companies charge.