If you want to rent a cheap campervan in Australia, you get the best deals with Motorhome Republic. Motorhome Republic is the largest price comparison website for campervans and motorhomes in Australia and New Zealand. You can compare and book your camper directly online and receive the best deals available! With a network of over 300 suppliers in 28 countries, they offer all types of vehicles in Australia and NZ: Campervan, Motorhome, 4WD or Station Wagon.
Table of Contents
Compare campervan & motorhome rentals in Australia & NZ
Please note that when booking with their website, there is no commission added to the price. You can be sure to get the best deal available! They also have a discount section on their website, check it out.
As an agent, MotorHome Republic negotiates deals with different rentals companies. Therefore, you pay less than if you go directly on the company website to book your vehicle. On average, a company only manages to rent 30% of their vehicles. For the 70% remaining, they need an agent to get bookings.
💡 Good to know: Rental rates for vans or campervans in Australia vary based on several factors, such as the type, brand, age of the vehicle, as well as the duration of your stay (rates become more favorable for stays of 21 days or longer), the season (peak or off-peak), and whether you book well in advance. To save on your van rental, consider traveling during the off-peak season and booking well in advance for stays exceeding 21 days. Don’t forget about insurance! There are various insurance options for van rentals, and some of them can sometimes double the cost.
How to use a rental rate comparison tool?
The advantage of this type of tool is that it allows you to filter the results based on all the main selection criteria.
Set a starting point
In Australia, Motorhome Republic is present in 22 destinations across all states. Adelaide, Airlie Beach, Alice Springs, Brisbane, Broome, Byron Bay, Cairns, Canberra, Darwin, Devonport, Gold Coast, Hobart, Launceston, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney. Some cities have agencies in the city center and at the airport.
In New Zealand, Motorhome Republic is available in 17 destinations across all regions: Auckland, Christchurch, Queenstown, Wellington…
The advantage is that no matter the country and destination, you can return your vehicle to a city other than where you rented it!
Filter by vehicle size
Select the number of seats you need (from 2 to 6 seats).
Specify the vehicle’s equipment
Filter the vehicles based on the desired amenities, such as a manual or automatic transmission, a cooktop, a shower, etc.
Selecting the vehicle’s age range also allows you to narrow down the list to only include recent vehicles, for example.
How to find a cheap Campervan rental?
The best way to reduce the cost of your van, car or campervan rental in Australia is to use the services of an agent. Indeed, they can offer reduced prices to their customers and know of all the good deals on the market. MotorHome Republic is the largest comparison website for campervans and motorhomes rentals in Australia and they work with more than 50 companies in New Zealand.
How to get low prices on a campervan rental?
To save money on your rental, it is important to understand how prices are calculated by suppliers.
First, you should know that prices for a campervan rental are not fixed in Australia. We often read on social media that person XY paid X amount for their campervan. Even though their comments can give you a broad idea, prices generally vary a lot. Prices depend on the several factors such as the model and the age of the campervan, the equipment and extras, the type of insurance, the season, the period of renting, and the availability.
Campervan hire prices are based on the YIELD Management system, a pricing strategy with which prices vary according to demand. You are probably familiar with it, as hotel and flight prices are based on the same system.
Ideally, you will try to book your campervan in advance. The sooner you do it, the better the price. You will be familiar with the term “early bird”. Try to book at least 2 months in advance to take advantage of these offers. Three months will be even better.
There are some last-minute deals available, but they are very rare and you usually do not have a choice. We recommend to rather book in advance than trying to get a good last-minute deal.
Criteria that determine the price of a campervan rental
- Type of vehicle: the newer and more equipped the vehicle is, the more expensive it will be
- Season: High season is between November and February. Rates are also higher during school holidays and long weekends.
- Trip duration: Rentals for longer periods of time cost you less than short ones. If you are thinking of renting 2 vehicles for 2 short trips, it may be worth renting only one for a longer period of time.
- Availability: As for plane tickets, prices rise when there are only a few available.
- Early booking: Most of the time, when you book well in advance you get a better deal. So don’t wait for the last minute…
- Insurance and equipment: Equipment such as table, chairs, GPS, baby seats also determine the price of the rental.
Use promo codes
We have been partnering with Travellers Autobarn and Jucy Rentals, and they both offer to our readers a 5% discount on their campervan rentals. To check out the full conditions and get your discount:
What to look at when comparing campervans?
When comparing different vehicles and prices, here is what you need to look at:
- Age of the vehicle: If the vehicle is over 10-15 years old, it won’t be as fresh as a 3 year old camper. The risk of a breakdown is higher. Thankfully, all suppliers offer free assistance.
- Size of vehicle/ beds: Make sure you’ll get enough room! Even though some vehicles can accommodate 4/5 people, beds can be very small. So make sure the vehicle is suitable for 4 adults. Sometimes it’s worth adding a couple of $$ to get a slightly bigger vehicle (from a lowtop to a hightop), so you can cook and eat inside the vehicle.
- Name of the company: Have you ever heard of this company? Any good/ bad reviews? A good service is also important to some customers. To others, only price matters!
- Equipment: All vehicles have kitchen equipment etc. However the most important thing is the fridge and maybe a toilet/shower (some vehicles only have a cooler/ esky). For bedding equipment, camping chairs & table, you should check if it’s included in the price or not (most of the time it’s extra – unless you get the full cover insurance)
Example of Campervan hire prices in Australia
To give you an idea, we tried to average prices for different models and by season. As every rental company fixes prices individually, it is almost impossible to give you an exact pricing table. Please also consider that renting in a bigger city will be cheaper.
Prices are in AUD.
Low season rates
- Average price of a 2-seater campervan: $ 100 / day
- Average price of a 4-seater campervan: $ 140 / day
Average season rates
- Average price of a 2-seater campervan: $ 130 / day
- Average price of a 4-seater campervan: $ 190 / day
High season rates
- Average price of a 2-seater campervan: 180 $ / day
- Average price of a 4-seater campervan: 220 $ / day
Campervan rental companies in Australia
There are many rental companies in Australia, but most of them are agglomerated on the east coast of Australia. The lager Agents usually have several sub-brands offering different models. The 2 main players in Australia are the Britz and Apollo groups.
These are the main brands grouped by range:
Luxury and Medium Budget: Apollo, Kea, Maui, Britz, Cruisin’ Tasmania Motorhomes
Low Budget: Wicked Campers, Travellers Autobarn, Spaceships, Mighty, Jucy, Camperman, Awesome Campers, Hippie Camper Vans Brands Australia
Best places to hire cheap campervans in Australia
If you want to hire a campervan in Australia, the best place to get a good price is in one of the big cities Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, or Brisbane. You will get a better price there as they face higher competition. The most affordable option is going to rental companies close to the airport. As they don’t have to pay high rents for offices in the CBD or inside the airport. This will also lower the prices.
Have a safe trip!