When going on a Road Trip in Australia, we often wonder if it’s worth renting or buying a van. Renting a campervan or motorhome in Australia can be costly, but renting is sometimes easier than buying your own vehicle. We have listed the advantages and disadvantages of buying and selling a campervan in Australia. You will find tips for buying a vehicle as well as information and tips to rent a van
Buying or renting a Campervan?
Buying a Campervan in Australia
- Freedom – You can go wherever you want and therefore change your plans whenever you want.
- When reselling the vehicle, you can expect to get most of your investment back. In general, it is recommended to buy your own vehicle if your travel exceeds three months.
- Risk of breakdown – In this case, repair costs and maintenance of the vehicle will be your responsibility.
- Search time – Allow about 2 to 3 weeks of searching for the right vehicle, and again for reselling it. Meanwhile, you may have to stay in a hotel/hostel, which represents extra costs, especially in big cities
- Constraints due to resale – Some backpackers are forced to sell off their vehicle before they return.
- Rather complex administrative procedures for the registration of his vehicle (renewal, change of ownership …). The registration laws differ from state to state.
- Only third party insurance is included in the registration.
When choosing the vehicle, it is important to be vigilant on a few things: the age of the vehicle, mileage, interior equipment, any repairs or maintenance on the vehicle by previous owners, fuel consumption (petrol / diesel), presence or absence of a spare wheel and registration.
It is mandatory to test drive before buying! Thus, you may notice an unusual noise. If the owner does not want you to test drive, stay away from it. If you do not feel comfortable looking at the engine or have concerns about the vehicle, please take your vehicle to a mechanic before buying!
Renting a van in Australia
- Vehicles are often better equipped. Newer vehicles, double battery system etc …
- You will have 24-hour roadside assistance and you can buy a full comprehensive insurance (Insurances offered by rental companies can be quite expensive. It is better to get insurance from a specialised company like Rentalcover.)
- No admin
- You spend less time searching for a vehicle
- Possibility to book in advance, allowing you to leave immediately on a Road Trip. This makes you spend less money on accommodation / food.
- You have to plan your trip, so you return the rental car at a certain time in the chosen city.
- A rental car may cost more than buying, depending on the season (high or low) and the length of stay.
In any case, it is important to compare both options to make the right choice!
CAMPERVAN RENTAL AUSTRALIA
MotorHome Republic is an agent specialized in campervan & motorhome rentals in Australia and New Zealand. It is the best way to compare prices from all different rental companies in Australia. On top of that, they always have good discounts!
Updated 12th of September 2019. Initially published on the 14th of July 2015.