As a future backpacker, you’re probably wondering about the cost of living in Australia. To give you an idea, we’ve prepared a price list for different categories of products and services in the country. This will help you prepare your budget for your trip to Australia, including expenses for visas, studies, food, van rentals/ purchase, tours, accommodations, and outings. Keep in mind that there are many things to take into account when traveling to the other side of the world.
Please note that these prices are indicative and may vary by region, season, brand, and promotional offers. Additionally, like the rest of the world, Australia is experiencing an increase in the prices of everyday consumer products.
How much does a visa cost to come to Australia?
To travel to Australia, you must get a visa , regardless of the length of your stay. Here is the list of the main visas that may correspond to your situation:
- Student visa / Student Visa: AU$650
- Tourist Visa / Tourist Visa (Subclass 651, eVisitor): $0
- Working Holiday Permit / Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417): $510
- Sponsored Work Visa / TSS Visa (former Sponsorship Visa): From $1330
- Partner Visa: $8085
Studying in Australia, how much does it cost?
The different types of visas for studying
To study in Australia, you have several possible visa options:
- The Student Visa allows you to study for a minimum of 3 months;
- The Tourist Visa allows you to study for a maximum of 3 months;
- The Working Holiday Visa allows you to study for a maximum of 4 months.
The cost of studies (private lessons / schools / universities)
Whether you decide to take language courses or any other subject when entering an Australian university, studying in Australia requires a certain budget .
- English lessons: $300/week
- IELTS test: $395. This test must be validated to enter TAFE or university.
- TAFE (BTS level: Certificates I to IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma): $4,000 to $22,000
- Undergraduate Bachelor Degree – $20,000 to $45,000
- Postgraduate Masters Degree (Masters level) – $22,000 to $50,000
- Doctoral Degree – $18,000 to $42,000
Food prices in Australia
In Australia, there are hypermarkets like Coles and Woolworth and discount supermarkets like Aldi. Overall, your shopping will seem more expensive than Europe. This is indeed the case for certain products, but don’t forget to convert to euros / pounds to get a better idea.
Here are some examples of useful prices:
- A frozen pizza = between $4 and $8
- Pork chops (1kg) = $17
- Minced meat (500g) = $7 to $14
- Chicken nuggets (1kg) = $13
- A packet of bacon (1kg): between $10 and $14
- A bag of sandwich bread = $1.90
- A 1.25 liter bottle of Coca Cola = $3.55
- One liter of milk = $1.50
- A packet of pasta = $0.80 to $1
- A pack of 6 chocolate mousse = between $3 and $6
- A jar of Nutella (750g) = $9.75
- A packet of cereal = between $5 and $10
- A camembert = between $3 and $12
- Fruits and vegetables: variable according to the seasons, but accessible.
In order to reduce your expenses, favour promotions, private labels and discount brands!
How much does it cost to buy a vehicle?
If you’re planning a road trip in Australia and considering buying your own vehicle, it’s important to note that prices can vary depending on several factors such as the city and season of purchase, brand, condition, age, and mileage on the vehicle. To give you an idea of the budget you’ll need, here are some approximate figures:
- A mid-range station wagon: between $2,000 and $3,000
- A mid-range van: between $5,000 and $6,000
- A mid-range 4×4: between $5,500 and $6,500
- 1L of unleaded gasoline: between $1.5 and $1.8 depending on the gas station
However, it’s important to keep in mind that these prices are just averages and can vary depending on a number of factors. It’s always a good idea to do your own research and shop around before making a purchase.
Activity costs when traveling in Australia
If you are traveling to Australia, you must take the opportunity to book tours. There are so many incredible places to discover that you won’t want to miss the most iconic ones. Keep in mind that prices vary depending on the year, season. Here are some price estimates per person to give you an idea:
- 1/2 day to observe the whales: from $80
- 1 day on the Great Barrier Reef: from $200
- 1 day in the Blue Mountains: from $100
- 3 days on the east coast of Tasmania: from $300
- 3 days on Kangaroo Island: from $500
- 3 days on Fraser Island in 4×4 Safari: from $450
- 3 days sailing in the Whitsundays Islands: from $600
- 5 days in the Red Center (Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Kings Canyon): from $500
- 10 days West Coast (Perth to Broome): from $1500
Cost of accommodation in Australia
Even if you have planned to make your road trip by van or 4×4, you will certainly have the opportunity to make stops elsewhere than in your vehicle for one night. You can find accommodation at all price points.
Short term accommodation
- 1 night in a youth hostel / backpackers hostel : from $25 for a dormitory
- 1 night in a campsite / caravan park with electricity : from $30
- 7 nights in a room in a shared apartment in Sydney: from $200
- 7 nights in a 30 m² studio in Sydney: from $500
Average house price in Australia
As of 2021, the average house price in Australia was around AUD 819,000. However, this can vary greatly depending on the location. For example, in Sydney and Melbourne, the average house price is much higher, at around AUD 1.3 million and AUD 1 million respectively.
However, after the global economic crisis, the real estate market in Australia has exploded. The Covid pandemic has amplified this problem in some parts of the country. Indeed, prices today are increasingly disconnected from economic realities. In Sydney, purchase prices are higher than anywhere else in Australia. Many people choose to buy 50 km or more from the city to get better prices.
Average unit price in Australia
As of 2021, the average unit price in Australia was around AUD 590,000. However, as with house prices, the average unit price can vary greatly depending on the location. For example, in Sydney and Melbourne, the average unit price is higher, at around AUD 800,000 and AUD 630,000 respectively. These numbers have nearly doubled since the pandemic.
Overall, the average unit price in Australia is generally lower than the average house price, making it a more affordable option for those looking to buy property. However, as with any property purchase, it’s important to do your research and seek professional advice before making any decisions.
Events and nights outs
Do you enjoy outings with friends, movie nights, wild dancing on the dance floor, or even shopping sessions? If so, it’s important to plan a budget that accommodates these extra expenses so that you don’t have to deprive yourself.
- 1 cinema ticket: from $20
- 1 entry to a nightclub: from $0 to $40
- 1 beer in a bar: from $6
- 1 glass of canned hard liquor: from $12
Tobacco and alcohol in Australia, how much does it cost?
Alcohol and cigarette packs in Australia are much more expensive compared to those in the U.K. and Europe. If you are looking to quit smoking, Australia could be the perfect opportunity to take up the challenge.
- 1 pack of cigarettes: $25 minimum
- 1 pack of 6 beers: from $20
- 1 pack of 24 beers: from $45
- 1 bottle of low-end wine: from $10
- 1 Goon 5L cubis: from $15
- 1 bottle of Vodka Smirnoff: from $40
- 1 bottle of Saint James Rum: from $70