You are on a 417 or 462 working holiday visa? You are dreaming of staying longer in Australia? Good news guys, you can now apply for a 3rd year working holiday visa. As with the second WHV, you will need to fulfil certain conditions to apply for your third-year visa. In this article, we will summarise everything you need to know.
6 Months of specified work in regional area
Before 1st of July 2019, it was only possible to extend your Working Holiday for a second year if you completed 88 days (3 months) of work in certain regions and specific job sectors. Since July, Working Holiday makers on their second year visa can extend their visa for another year. To be eligible, they have to work in a specified job for 6 months in a specified regional area.
To sum it up, you will need to do 88 days of farm work or eligible work in your first year to qualify for a second Working Holiday visa. Then you work 6 months during your second year to apply for a third year. The type of work you will have to do to be eligible for the third year visa are the same as the specified work for the second year visa. You cannot complete the 6 months of farm work or 176 days during your first WHV.
Important : The 6 months work must all be carried out on or after 1 July 2019. Therefore a successful application for a third year cannot be lodged before January 2020.
- Eligible jobs for a second year visa in Australia
- Eligible postcodes for a second year visa in Australia
What if you are already on your second working holiday visa?
According to the Homeaffairs website you need to complete your 6 months of regional work that will qualify for the 3rd year visa after the 1st of July 2019 in order to count. This means that the earliest possible date to apply for the 3rd year working holiday visa is the 1st of January 2020. Any applications that are lodged before that date, won’t be successful as it is impossible to meet the requirements.
So, if you have commenced your 2nd WHV visa before the 1st of January 2019, then it is impossible for you to complete your 6 months of farmwork. Therefore, you won’t be able to apply for your 3rd year.
How much does the 3rd year visa cost?
The costs for the third-year WHV remain the same as for the second-year visa, $495 (2022). You will have to pay online, after finishing your application. Know that if your application is not accepted you won’ t be able to get reimbursed.
What can you do with your third-year WHV?
Your rights are the same on your third year than your first and second WHV. Which means, you can:
- Do any kind of work
- Study for up to 4 months or 17 weeks (including weekends, public holidays etc.)
- Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want.
Increased Age limit for certain Nationalities
Australia has announced its intention to increase the age limit for Working Holiday Makers.
- Currently Canada, Ireland and France have accepted this proposal. As a result, Canadians, Irish and French can now apply for a first, second or third-year Working Holiday visa until they turn 35 years old.
- From 1 July 2022 the age limit for Italian and Danish citizens wanting to work and travel in Australia will increase by five years – from 30 to 35 years of age.
- The UK Free Trade Agreement is supposed to enter into force in 2022 with the age limit increased to 35 for UK passport holders. More info on : Free Trade Agreement Deal